Loading Dock Safety
At Leum Engineering, we tackle common and complex materials handling issues to help companies protect their goods and the 650,000+ forklift operators in the U.S. From portable loading docks to railboards, here’s a snapshot of how Leum Engineering products help to meet and exceed OSHA loading dock safety standards:
- Safeguarding wicked drops – To protect forklifts from careening down 4 ft. drops at rail docks or at the side of an indoor flatbed dock, heavy steel Dockshield Removable Forklift Barriers provide unparalleled fall protection for people and forklifts with three barriers positioned at 12”, 27”, and 42”.
- Keep forklift operators in the driver’s seat – Dockshield barriers (patent pending) are completely removable, stackable, and maneuverable by a forklift with no direct employee interaction required for engagement, providing unmatched loading dock equipment safety. Plus, an embedded floor sleeve reduces tripping and protects forklifts by transferring load impact forces to the concrete.
- Install a forklift-worthy loading dock anywhere – Companies in grade level buildings or leased facilities can completely eliminate the risks of manual loading with Dockzilla Portable Loading Docks. Eliminating the expense of permanent construction, these forklift ramps condense the OSHA-required safety features of a conventional loading dock into a stand-alone unit built for daily trailer unloading and forklift impact loads.
- Safety isn’t optional – Pre-manufactured as standard with an integral dock leveler, handrails, and wheel chocks, Dockzilla Portable Loading Docks are built to perform the duties of a permanent loading dock. These self-standing loading docks feature solid front support legs so the ramp stays put, even if the truck driver unexpectedly pulls away.
- Let the forklift do the heavy lifting – The Dockzilla Mobile Yard Ramp features patented Automatic Kingpin Engagement that maximizes forklift versatility while minimizing employee interaction between forklift and ramp. Additionally, the patented Automatic Wheel Placement minimizes employee involvement by using forklifts to easily situate ramps, requiring absolutely no hand pumping.
- Rise up to increase efficiency – In an industry that relies on speed to deliver packages, loading below building level can halt the process and overwork employees. Trailer solutions, such as Parcel Dock Ramps, raise delivery trucks and vans to building level so that employees can load/unload safely at floor level and avoid a two-step effort.
- Above the dock solution – Trailers that arrive above the loading dock, such as intermodal shipping containers, can be serviced easily via a hydraulic top of dock leveler. This unit installs on top of the existing building floor without need for permanent construction. This hydraulic ramp features simple push button operation, and will service up to 18” above your building floor level.
- Bridge the gap between rail docks and boxcars – Built to stand up to the rigors of forklift traffic and materials handling, heavy duty railboards provide 4-inch high run off guards so forklifts don’t tip or fall into the gap. Automatically placed D-Rings are incorporated to fill the gap between the boxcar and the building floor to safely hold the plate in place.
- Load and unload boxcars with ease – Leum Engineering’s Railboards are customized to accommodate the varying options and capacity by industry. To reduce tire damage, they are built with side curbs that are recessed to allow for 90-degree turning into the boxcar, and all traffic surfaces have machine-chamfered edges for a smoother transition for forklifts.